Image Map

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Teacher Tips Linky Party!

Michelle at Teach 123 is having a linky party! When you think about your first year of teaching or when you switched grade levels, what do you wish you would have known before you began? What advice can you give your fellow teachers?

(I'm technologically challenged today because I'm having a hard time to get the cute frame on my blog. ugh!)

So here's my tips, without the cuteness:
*Make friends with the secretary, custodian, and cafeteria workers AND treat them well. I know it's already been mentioned but this is a BIG one! They'll be glad to help you anytime you need it.

*Act like you know what you're doing...even if you don't. haha! There were many times my first few weeks of school when I thought "What the heck am I doing?" but the smiling 5 and 6 year-olds didn't know that I did the wrong workbook page or made a mistake, so I didn't let it get to me. I just kept on doing my thing.

*Communication is KEY! You need to keep your student's parents involved and up to date with what's going on in your classroom, whether it's by a newsletter, class website, or notes sent home. They are more willing to support you and be a part of their child's education if they know what's going on.

*Don't be afraid to ask for help. My co-workers were always willing to help me out, I just needed to ask. They gave me space at the beginning because they didn't want to overwhelm me but I wanted some reassurance to see if I was doing things right. So I went to them when I had questions or needed something.

*Take time to recognize ALL your students throughout the day. Some kids these days have it tougher than I'd like to imagine. A smile, kind words, greeting them in the morning, asking how their day is going, etc. can make a HUGE impression on these little ones.

*Remember to have FUN! If you're having fun, doing what you love, then your students will as well.

To share your tips or find some new ones, click on the picture below.


3 comments:

  1. I just found your blog. I am a new follower. Teaching really is a fun job most of the time.

    Tricia
    Queen with Class

    ReplyDelete
  2. Communication's importance really can't be stressed enough! I am so glad you added this tip. Thankfully, with today's technology there are so many ways to communicate with parents.

    Thanks for joining my Teaching Tips Linky Party. I made a Pinterest Board called Teaching Tips and added your tips. You can check it out here: http://pinterest.com/teach123school/teaching-tips/

    Michelle
    Teach123

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin